The US Mint begain striking US coins for circulation at the Philadelphia Mint in 1792. As an official United States Mint, it was entrusted with making the nation's circulating legal tender coinage in both precious metals, copper, and nickel. Today, those old coins have become the rare coin collecting favorites of investors and collectors.
The US Mint Southern Branches
As gold was later discovered in the Southern States of Georgia, North Carolina, and Alabama, branch mints were opened in Charlotte and Dahlonega.
US Mint New Orleans
With an rush of foreign gold and silver into the port of New Orleans, the US Mint opened another branch mint in Louisiana in 1838. The New Orleans Mint story is one of our favorites as coins were struck for the United States, the Confederacy, and Mexico.
US Mint San Francisco
After gold was discovered in California at Sutter's Mill in 1854, the western stampede demanded that another mint be opened much closer to the West Coast gold find. The San Francisco Mint served the western frontier states from 1854 to present.
US Mint Carson City
Finally, a massive silver find in Nevada at the famous Comstock Lode led to the creation of the Carson City Mint which we often refer to as the "CC Mint." Both gold coins and silver dollars were struck in Carson City.
US Mint Denver
After the turn of the century in 1906, another western branch was opened. The Denver Mint struck gold found in the Colorado Rockies into official U.S. Mint coins for circulation.
US Mint West Point, NY
In the 1980's, the US Mint opened the most recent mint at West Point, N.Y. to assist in striking modern gold and silver issues including various commemoratives and American Eagle Gold Bullion Coins.
Recommended Websites of Austin Rare Coins, Inc.
Austin Rare Coins
Rare Coins & Ancient Coins
Free Gold Profit Report
Gold Coins & Gold Bullion
Ancient Gold Coins
Rare Coin University
Silver Coin Information
American Eagles Research
U.S. Mint History
Gold Coin Information
Learn about Famous Shipwreck Coins
Gold Bullion Coins Research
All About U.S. Silver Dollars
Order By Phone 1-888-919-4653
- Call our Specialists in Rare Coins 9am to 9pm, seven days a week. Please do not call to ask what your rare coins are worth.No-Risk Moneyback Guarantee
- If you are not 100% satisfied, simply return your rare coins in 14 days for a full refund, including shipping, no questions asked. All bullion coin sales are final when accepted by the company. Accept Major Credit Cards
- Order rare coins online using Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover. Personal checks welcome on all rare coin orders.
- For your safety and security, orders for rare coins are processed on Secure Servers. Information requests will be fulfilled by Austin Rare Coins.
- All prices are indications only and subject to acceptance. In hot gold and silver markets, prices can change rapidly and we reserve the right to refuse orders due to volatile prices or availability.
©2014 Austin Coin Collecting Society, All Rights Reserved